Next up in my series of interviews of people in the whisky industry is Russell Anderson, Distillery Manager for The Macallan
The Macallan have recently changed their range moving away from age statements, something very interesting in the industry.
1. How long have you been involved in the Whisky Industry?
25 years, although it certainly doesn’t feel like it!
2. What’s your earliest Whisky Memory?
Working in the Tunroom at The Glenrothes Distillery
3. What’s your proudest moment in your career within the Whisky Industry thus far?
Too numerous to mention, a couple are; being awarded the best candidate for Institute of Brewing and Distilling General Certificate in Distilling exam, passing the Diploma in Distilling, being appointed Highland Park Distillery Manager and now The Macallan Distillery Manager.
4. What was the last dram you had?
The Macallan Gold
5. What other whiskies and/or distilleries inspire you and why?
The obvious one would be Highland Park, I spent 15 years there. Running the floor maltings, although very challenging at times was also very rewarding when things went right! I will always have a special place in my heart for Highland Park and of course it is a great dram!
6. What is your dram of choice?
The Macallan and Highland Park – 18 years old.
7. The whisky industry seems very strong at the moment, where do you see it going over the next few years?
From strength to strength, in particular the single malt market – it has absolutely exploded over the past decade!
8. Where would you like to be in 5 years time?
The Macallan Distillery Manager and of course watching Hibernian Football Club win the SPL!
9. What is the strangest whisky superstition you’ve came across?
Perhaps not really a superstition – the older and darker a whisky is the better it is and you must never add water to a single malt.
10. What dram would you absolutely not be able to live without?
The Macallan and Highland Park – 18 years old – yes I know this is two, I’m greedy! These 2 drams make me realise how lucky I am to work in such a fantastic industry!
Many thanks to Russell for taking the time to answer these questions and I hope you enjoyed viewing them, more in this series in the coming weeks and remember to have a look at The Macallan website for more of their range.